Saturday, February 02, 2008

Electoral Compass

My apologies that I've been MIA for just about one year now. I was busy breaking up with my boyfriend, finding a wonderful new one, exploring my career options, and getting an actual job in academia. But now I'm back, just in time for the presidential primaries (and SO glad that they are here at last).

My new boyfriend sent me this link to a website that offers you a short questionnaire and then maps your position in the US political landscape relative to the current presidential candidates, with regard to both social and economic issues. The results may surprise you! I ended up far to the left of my favorite (former) candidate, Edwards, on both axes.

The best feature allows you to see how the candidates might have answered the questionnaire and offers selected quotes from their campaign websites and public remarks as evidence. I was very disturbed to see that McCain, whom I'd naively considered to be a sort of maverick moderate Republican, strongly opposes abortion rights and gay marriage AND advocates teaching creationism in science classes. (I already knew that he takes a hard line on immigration, thinks it would be reasonable to stay in Iraq for a century, and believes that we should bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb bomb Iran.)

No comments: