Monday, June 06, 2011

My favorite subject is Science

I was on my way to lab on Sunday morning when three little girls, ranging between perhaps five and eight years old, tore past me in the hallway to jump up and down for joy in front of our display cases. Two middle-aged women were following them and stopped me to ask whether I was "a real science student." (This is nothing new, even though I recently celebrated my 37th birthday.) I replied that I was a real science professor, and one of the women called her daughter to meet me as though I were some kind of celebrity. "My favorite subject in school is Science," she told me proudly. (Remember the days when there was no Physics, Chemistry, or Biology, only Science?)

I ended up inviting them to come see my lab (accompanied by stern warnings from their mothers not to touch anything lest they blow themselves up) and took some pictures with them, surrounded by all kinds of exciting Science stuff.

It was pretty damned awesome.

No comments: